Car Seat Event and Bike Rodeo...
Cops, Kids & Toys will be cosponsoring a car seat event/bike rodeo along with IPD, IFD, CUPD, TCSD and Tompkins County Probation. It will be held on 9/23 from 9:00 to noon at Central Fire Station and Human Services Building parking lots.
National Child Passenger Safety
Week, Sept. 17 to 23
Car crashes are a leading cause of death for children 1 to 13 years old. Many times deaths and injuries can be prevented by proper use of car seats, boosters, and seat belts. Children of all ages are safest when properly restrained in the back seat. Yet, six out of ten drivers believe it is safe for children to sit in the front seat with a passenger air bag... It is not!
While most parents and caregivers believe their child safety seats are installed correctly, seven out of ten children are improperly restrained!
What are the most common child safety seat installation mistakes?
• Not using the right child safety seats for a child’s size and age;
• Not placing the child safety seat in the correct direction;
• Incorrect installation of the child safety seat in relation to the vehicle’s air bags;
• Incorrect installation and tightness of the child safety seat to the vehicle seat;
• Not securing or tightening the child safety seat’s harness and crotch straps;
• Improper use of locking clips for certain vehicle safety belts;
• Not making sure the vehicle’s seat belts fit properly across the child when using a booster seat;
• Using a defective or broken child safety seat.
The Ithaca Fire Department is assisting parents with making sure child safety seats are correctly installed in their car.There will be a Car Seat Safety Check Saturday Sept 23rd from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm at the Ithaca Central Fire Station at 310 West Green Street.
If it has been a while since your car seat was installed, or if you would like to have a certified Car Seat Technician install your child’s car seat or just check on the job you have done, and are unable to make the event, contact the Ithaca Fire Dept. at (607) 272-1234, to set up an appointment with one of our trained Car Seat Technicians.
September 24th, 2017
Board Meeting are
the 2nd Tuesday
of each month 1:30pm at the Cayuga Heights Police Department.
The public is always welcome at any board meetings .
Cops, Kids & Toys
collects, purchases, and distributes toys and gifts to financially disadvantaged children in Tompkins County.
The program started in the early 1980‘s with two Ithaca City Police officers helping out a few children.
It is currently supported with volunteers from every law enforcement agency in Tompkins County, the Tompkins County Probation Department, and many volunteers.